The Gaja family settled in Piedmont - northwest Italy - in the mid-seventeenth century. Five generations of Gajas have been producing wines in Piedmont’s Langhe hills since 1859, the year Giovanni Gaja, a local grape grower, founded the Gaja Winery in Barbaresco.
Giovanni’s son, Angelo (grandfather of today’s Angelo Gaja), was blessed with ambition and vision. Clotilde Rey, whom he married in 1905, inspired him to establish the tradition to which the Gajas have adhered ever since - total dedication to uncompromising quality. Angelo and Clotilde’s son, Giovanni, continued to follow the high standards his parents had set, producing Barbarescos that were renowned throughout Italy.
Thanks to his Barbaresco, the winery’s flagship, Gaja wines achieved a leadership position in Italy. Giovanni increased vineyard holdings, acquiring Sorì Tildìn, Costa Russi, Sorì San Lorenzo and Darmagi, thereby permitting the Gaja family to produce wines of the highest quality exclusively from its own vineyards.
Giovanni’s son, Angelo, joined the Winery in 1961 and combined his respect for the traditions of the Langhe with bold innovations in the vineyards and the cellars. He also introduced Gaja wines to foreign markets. Angelo lives in Barbaresco with his wife Lucia and their three children, Gaia, Rossana, and Giovanni who represent the fifth generation. Together with their parents, Angelo and Lucia, they have been continuing a family tradition that has never stopped since 1859, when Giovanni Gaja founded the winery.
Today, the Gaja Winery owns 96ha (240 acres) of vineyards in the Barbaresco district - Barbaresco and Treiso - and the Barolo district - Serralunga d’Alba and La Morra. In 1994, the Gajas acquired their first wine estate in Tuscany, Pieve Santa Restituta in Montalcino. The property’s 27ha (67 acres) of vineyards produce three Brunello di Montalcino wines: Brunello di Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino Sugarille and Brunello di Montalcino Rennina.
In 1996, the Gaja family purchased a second property in Tuscany, Ca’ Marcanda, located in the Bolgheri district in the municipality of Castagneto Carducci. New plantings of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc as well as Merlot, Syrah and Sangiovese cover 126ha (310 acres). The wines produced at Ca’Marcanda are Promis, Magari, Camarcanda and Vistamare. The 2000 vintage is the first release of each of these wines.